Ozuna profile; top 10 prospects
- Non-contending major league teams usually watch service time carefully, and rightfully so. If a team has no realistic chance of making the playoffs, there's no point in calling up a prospect if it's going to make him eligible for free agency and arbitration a year early. There's also no reason to rush them.
Yet the Miami Marlins decided to put Jose Fernandez on their Opening Day roster, which is going to make him expensive a year before he had to be. Now they're at it again, calling up Marcell Ozuna earlier this week.[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Lynne SladkySince 2010, Marcell Ozuna has a respectable 75 homers in 1,337 minor league at-bats.
When Giancarlo Stanton went on the disabled list with a strained hamstring on Tuesday, the Marlins lost by far the biggest threat in a lineup that ranks last in the major leagues in runs per game (2.79) and homers (13). To replace Stanton in right field, they summoned Ozuna.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM