Top 50 fantasy prospects for '13
The top 50 baseball prospect ranked for their 2013 fantasy baseball values
This ranking of the top 50 fantasy baseball prospects for 2013 is intended to predict value for this season only, giving no weight to potential in 2014 and beyond. As such, consideration was given for probability of time in the major leagues as well as each player's current perceived ability to contribute in fantasy leagues.
For your convenience, we have aggregated selected insight from Keith Law's Top 100 baseball prospects (which ranks prospects for their career potential in both offensive and defensive contributions), Top 20 impact rookies, organizational rankings and various other sources. We have also laid out each prospect's path to the major leagues this season. All these elements helped inform the rankings process.
1. Adam Eaton, OF, ARIThe D-backs seemingly opened up the starting center-field job for Eaton when they traded Chris Young early in the offseason, closed the window temporarily when Cody Ross was signed as a free agent, then opened the opportunity back up when Justin Upton was dealt to the Braves. The 24-year-old, who has been an on-base and stolen base machine every step along his short minor league journey, should get at least 500 plate appearances out of the leadoff spot despite four outfielders expected to get a good amount of playing time.
From Keith Law's top 20 impact rookies "His patience at the plate gives him a chance to be an above-average regular. Eaton's got a little loop and length in his swing, but his hand-eye is very good and he puts himself into a lot of hitters' counts, seeing a ton of pitches (3.96 per plate appearance in his brief major league trial) and drawing enough walks to keep his OBP up."
To see our top 50 prospects for the 2013 fantasy baseball season, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Cockcroft: Stolen base strategy
- Tardy: Hoops Forecaster for March 17-23
- Sleeper stolen base options for 2014
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 22