Advanced metrics: SPs to buy/sell
How to use such categories as tERA, xFIP and LOB% to your advantage
- Is Jon Lester the key to your season? Is it time to cut bait on Cliff Lee? And what in the world should you do with Tim Lincecum? The answers to these questions and more can be learned from understanding how to apply some of the "newfangled" analysis developed by the sabermetric community.
A few weeks ago, we examined some of the more common pitching metrics and elucidated what's in a pitcher's control and what's left to fate. To review briefly, a pitcher's strikeout and walk rates best identify a pitcher's skill. Home runs and hits allowed entail both skill and luck elements. With home runs, the skill involves inducing more ground balls, while the luck deals with the percentage of fly balls that leave the yard. When examining hits on balls in play, ground ball pitchers surrender more "safeties" than fly ball pitchers. Meanwhile, the ability to consistently and repeatedly induce weaker contact is being investigated and cannot yet be conclusively deemed a skill.
To see Todd's statistical examination of such players as Jon Lester and Tim Lincecum, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM