Out of the Box: There's a catch
- I might be a huge fan of Joe Mauer's, but ultimately I think his winning a batting title might have done us a disservice. Now that we've seen concrete proof that a catcher can pull off the feat, somehow as a group we've become a little too trusting of his brethren.
Maybe that's merely an impression I get, but with Jorge Posada, Kenji Johjima and Victor Martinez all in the top 20 in the majors in batting average entering Thursday's games, don't you believe at least a little more that you can get elite production from the position? Heck, Bengie Molina is a .300-plus-hitting backstop! Catchers unite!
Still, I throw that old adage at you, lest you throw caution to the wind: Over the long, grueling summer, catchers wear down at the bat. There's something about the tools of ignorance, how they weigh a man down, weakening those limbs.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- McKitish: Top FBA waiver-wire targets
- Stock Watch: Wood up; Davis down
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM