Inside the Matchups: Parra versus Phillies, Washburn versus Rays
Updated: April 20, 2009, 2:29 PM ETBy Tom Haberstroh | Special to ESPN Insider
- Manny not up to ParraManny Parra has struggled out of the gate this season and takes on the Phillies on Tuesday. Parra has not been throwing the first-pitch strike and consistently finds himself in an uphill battle against the hitter. He has faced 45 batters this season and his first-pitch offering has found the strike zone only 15 times, and there may be a good reason why; hitters hit .494 off his first pitch in the 2008 season. The Phillies don't chase pitches out of the zone (fifth-lowest chase percentage in the NL) and 11 of Philadelphia's 15 home runs this season have come after the pitcher got behind 1-0, so the Phillies will make Parra pay if he doesn't command the zone. Until Parra shows confidence with his first pitch, he's not a reliable starter.For Washburn, change is good.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- McKitish: Top FBA waiver-wire targets
- Stock Watch: Wood up; Davis down
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com