10 surprising park factors
Debunking myths about some notable stadiums to help your fantasy team
The terms pitchers' park and hitters' park are bandied about quite cavalierly when it comes to discussing players' expectations. There are a number of parks that are perceived to be helpful for pitchers and others favorable for hitters. For the most part, perceptions are reality. However, there are misperceptions about some parks that might lead to faulty conclusions, leading to a negative impact on how fantasy teams are constructed at the draft and managed during the season.
In a moment, 10 ballpark misnomers will be revealed that might be surprising and result in a re-evaluation of the expected performance of hitters and pitchers. Some players' market values are artificially inflated based on some flawed assumptions. These players should be avoided, at least at their going rate. Others are unfairly docked value based on an error in judgment; they can be acquired at a price below their actual potential and deployed in season in situations previously assumed to be too risky.
Before these 10 myths are unveiled, a brief review of park effects will be presented along with some more general observations. A park effect is quantified by means of a park factor. Park factors can be determined for every statistic. The two most common applicable park factors for fantasy baseball purposes are run factors and home run factors. However, there are some rather esoteric factors that can come into play, specifically strikeouts, walks and errors.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Cregan: Keep eye on 1+1+1 players
- Matthew Berry's Week 16 QB rankings
- Week 16 ranks reax: Why matchups matter
- The Week 15 disaster, MVP candidates ...
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2012 Fantasy Baseball Draft Kit
2012 Projections and Profiles
• Top 300 | AL-only | NL-only
• Points Leagues | Cheat sheets
• Custom roto dollar value generator
• Fantasy Draft Engine
• Catcher: Rankings | Preview
• First Base: Rankings | Preview
• Second Base: Rankings | Preview
• Third Base: Rankings | Preview
• Shortstop: Rankings | Preview
• Outfield: Rankings | Preview
• Designated Hitter: Rankings
• Starting Pitcher: Rankings | Preview
• Relief Pitcher: Rankings | Preview
• Tristan H. Cockcroft's Top 250 keepers
Talented Mr. Roto
• Bold predictions for the season
• Berry's Guys I Love, Guys I Hate
• Matthew Berry's Top 250 Rankings
• Matthew Berry's Draft-Day Manifesto
• Berry's "100 Facts to know" for 2012
• Mock Draft with 11 Average Joes
• Position battle winners, losers
• ADP reveals drafting trends
• Staff sleeper and bust picks
• Tristan's Twenty: Cockcroft's 2012 targets
• Bleagh! The guys Tristan doesn't like for 2012
• Cockcroft's 'perfect' draft
• The components of ERA
• Understanding the BABIP statistic
• Cockcroft's "Kings of Command"
• Which teams got worse defensively?
• Spring watch list
• 2013 free agents to be, by position
• 'Mulligan' ERAs: The impact of awful starts
• Dissecting wins for pitchers
• Why negative BA can be overrated
• Notable offseason moves | All moves
• 30 Questions archive
• Goldstein: Top 50 prospects | 51-100
• Eric Karabell: Top 100 | Five prospects
• Karabell: My 2012 "Do Not Draft" list
• Karabell: Bold stat predictions
• Karabell: Steals sleepers
• Karabell: Bounce-back sleepers for 2012
• Keith Law: Top 100 prospects for 2012
• Dan Szymborski: MLB's best sophomores
• Szymborski: Nine make-or-break players
• Szymborski: Breakout hitters | Pitchers
• Dave Cameron: Spring stats that matter
• Todd Zola: Players with new home parks
• Todd Zola: 10 surprising park factors
• Todd Zola: Advanced auction strategy • Todd Zola: Head-to-head points strategy
• Matt Wieters could be the No. 1 catcher
• Dee Gordon's steals upside
• Is Alex Rodriguez "washed up?"
• When should you draft your first closer?
• Is Derek Jeter still a top-10 shortstop?
• Can you trust Brian Wilson?
• What to expect from Dan Uggla in 2012
• Just how good is Desmond Jennings?
• Will Jason Motte be a reliable closer?
• What is Starlin Castro's upside?