Cockcroft: Long-Term Prospects
1. Brandon Wood, SS, Angels: Though his 2006 numbers -- .276-25-83 for Double-A Arkansas -- come across as disappointing, it's a little unfair to compare them to his 53 doubles, 43 homers, 370 total bases and 101 extra-base hits from the year before at Class A Rancho Cucamonga, each a minor league-leading total. Wood continues to draw comparisons to Cal Ripken Jr. for his complete package of power and defense, and even if he shifts to third base, he'll be something special for fantasy. ETA: late 2007.
2. Cameron Maybin, OF, Tigers: Speed is his greatest asset right now, but don't take that as the slightest knock on his bat, as Maybin did a fine job in his professional debut at Class A West Michigan in 2006. He'll need to cut down on the strikeouts -- one per 3.3 at-bats -- but this is a future 30/30 man, quite a valuable commodity for fantasy. Maybin, who turns 20 in April, is closer to the majors than you'd think. ETA: early 2008.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Karabell: Week 16 flex rankings
- Berry: Punishing fantasy 'losers'
- Fantasy Football Week 16 quarterback rankings
- Kaiser: Will Ibaka's numbers improve?