FLB: Rookie Report
Updated: June 30, 2005, 6:15 PM ETBy Tristan H. Cockcroft | ESPN Fantasy Games
- Each week, the Rookie Report takes a look at the most prominent recent additions to major-league rosters, as well as players who recently made their debuts. Roman Colon, SP, Braves: This 25-year-old right-hander earned a spot in the Atlanta bullpen late last season after registering a 3.65 ERA and 64 strikeouts in 74 innings for Triple-A Richmond in 2004, but he got off to a slow start with the big club this year and earned a trip back to the minors, where he was converted back into a starting pitcher. Colon had a sparkling 0.93 ERA in three starts between Double-A Greenville and Richmond, but stamina was an issue; he pitched just 9.2 innings total. Nevertheless, he shut down the potent Baltimore offense in his first major-league start, and now could get a few more looks while Tim Hudson is sidelined. Colon might seem like an intriguing NL-only addition, but the Braves still think of him more as a reliever long-term. He's probably bullpen-bound once Hudson returns, and all the role switching could throw him off. Colon has the ability to help in ERA and WHIP as a reliever, but he's a risky proposition as a starter. Edwin Encarnacion, 3B, Reds: His own organization doesn't think nearly as high of him as most scouts, as the Reds could have gambled on him at the hot corner this season but instead turned to veteran Joe Randa. Of course, Randa could be on the trading block as the July 31 deadline approaches, so this is an interesting promotion, even if it's a short one. Encarnacion had a lifetime .283 batting average in 556 minor-league games, and while his one homer per 33.8 at-bats ratio isn't anything great, he did have a solid .444 slugging percentage and is 22 years old, meaning he still has time to develop power. He's an interesting second-half sleeper, one who could offer at least average totals in all five prominent Rotisserie categories if he gets a chance to start in the season's final two months.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com