Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Forget the champagne. At least two Hornets starters will have to celebrate their opening-night victory over the Kings with soda pop. Chris Paul and J.R. Smith became only the fourth pair of NBA teammates, both under the age of 21, to start their team's opening game of the season. The others: Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler (2002-2003 Bulls), Darius Miles and Lamar Odom (2000-2001 Clippers), and Stephon Marbury and Kevin Garnett (1996-1997 Timberwolves).
• The Hornets defeated the Kings 93-67 on Tuesday night. Sacramento's total equaled the second lowest in a season opener during the shot-clock era. The lowest was 66 points by the Charlotte Hornets against the 76ers in February 1999, after the end of the owners' lockout.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- German clubs face off for CL crown
- Grizzlies' Hollins all for anti-flopping rules
- Spurs' Duncan divorcing wife of 12 years
- Pacers clutch late, even series against Heat