Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Geoff Blum's home run was the first extra-inning game-winning home run by a visiting player in the World Series since Tim McCarver of the Cardinals hit a three-run, 10th-inning homer to defeat the Yankees in Game 5 of the 1964 Series. (The home team had won 17 of the previous 19 extra-inning World Series games.)
Since the save rule became an official statistic in 1969, Mark Buehrle is the fourth pitcher to start and save games in the same World Series. The others were Jack Billingham for the 1972 Reds, Vida Blue for the A's in 1972, and Catfish Hunter for the 1974 A's.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Oxbow wins Preakness; Orb finishes fourth
- Griner: Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- Report: Coach K considering Team USA return
- DE Freeney, Chargers agree to contract