Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• The Chiefs-Dolphins game marked a rare NFL foray into Friday night -- a night that, throughout many parts of the country, is famously associated with high school football.
This was only the NFL's ninth Friday game since 1970. Three of those were day games played on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve when the calendar fell that way; four others were played in the mid-'80s when the national television deal with ABC called for games on the final Friday night of the regular season.
The Los Angeles Rams periodically hosted September or early October games on Friday nights -- a total of nine -- from 1949 to 1970. In addition, the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Cardinals, Steelers, Bears and Redskins have all hosted games under Friday night lights. And there were scattered Friday night games in the NFL throughout the 1930s and 1940s, some hosted by teams such as the Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Bulldogs and Frankford Yellow Jackets.
But the team that played the most Friday night home games was the Boston Patriots when they were in the American Football League. The Patriots hosted 26 Friday night games from 1960 to 1965, playing at Boston University Field or Fenway Park.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- A's trade Donaldson to Toronto for Lawrie
- Ray Rice wins appeal, can sign with any team
- Janay Rice: 'Never ... have I seen abuse'
- Westbrook boosts Thunder with 32 in return