Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Jaromir Jagr scored a hat trick in the Rangers' 5-4 loss to the Islanders on Thursday night, including two goals in the final minute of the first period. Jagr also scored two goals 42 seconds apart on Monday night against the Panthers. Jagr became the first player with two such games within less than a week (that is, games with a pair of goals less than a minute apart in the same period) since Pat Verbeek did it on consecutive days for the Hartford Whalers in 1990 (Nov. 23-24).
Jagr's hat trick gave him 10 goals over the Rangers' first nine games. Over the past 10 years (1996-97 to 2005-06), only three others players reached the 10-goal mark within their team's first nine games of a season: Scott Young (2000-01 Blues), Mark Parrish (2001-02 Islanders) and Ilya Kovalchuk (2003-04 Thrashers, the only player among them to do it in his club's first eight games).
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Harden, Smith lead Rockets by Griz in OT
- Dirk into 8th on NBA scoring list, razzes Kobe
- Source: Kuroda leaving MLB, returning to Japan
- LeBron rallies Irving-less Cavs past Magic