Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• This year's World Series will be between a team that has never been there against a team that has not been there in 46 years. There has been only one other World Series between teams that each had not appeared in the Series in the previous 20 years. In 1948 the Indians (in their first appearance since 1920) beat the Boston Braves (first Series since 1914).
• Roger Clemens will be appearing in the World Series 19 years after making his Series debut with the 1986 Red Sox. The only other player to go 19-or-more seasons before his first and last appearances in the Series is Willie Mays, who went 22 years before his first and last times (in 1951 with the Giants and 1973 with the Mets).
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Royals edge Giants, grab 2-1 Series lead
- PGA ousts prez for Poulter 'girl' comments
- Kobe salutes Nash: Ailing PG gave it his all
- Union: NFL, Ravens not helping in Rice probe