Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• This year's World Series will be between a team that has never been there against a team that has not been there in 46 years. There has been only one other World Series between teams that each had not appeared in the Series in the previous 20 years. In 1948 the Indians (in their first appearance since 1920) beat the Boston Braves (first Series since 1914).
• Roger Clemens will be appearing in the World Series 19 years after making his Series debut with the 1986 Red Sox. The only other player to go 19-or-more seasons before his first and last appearances in the Series is Willie Mays, who went 22 years before his first and last times (in 1951 with the Giants and 1973 with the Mets).
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley out for season after collapse
- Source: Ware, Broncos agree to $30M deal
- Lions pick up WR Tate on five-year contract
- Lakers rule Kobe out for remainder of season