Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
- A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports:Major League Baseball
• The Cardinals are only the second team to do what they did on Monday: win a postseason road game in which they faced elimination by overcoming a deficit of at least two runs anytime after the eighth inning. The Red Sox did that in Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS against the California Angels. Down 3-1 in the series, Boston took the lead in that game with two out in the ninth inning on Dave Henderson's two-run home run off Donnie Moore. The Angels tied the game in the bottom of the ninth but the Red Sox won it in the 11th on Henderson's sacrifice fly.
Four teams have won a postseason home game in which they faced elimination by overcoming a deficit of at least two runs anytime after the eighth inning: the Braves against the Pirates in Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS; the Mets against the Red Sox in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series (also with two outs); the Tigers against the Athletics in Game 4 of the 1972 ALCS; and the New York Giants against the Philadelphia Athletics in Game 5 of the 1911 World Series (also with two outs).
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Spurs breeze past Heat with Duncan in form
- LeBron says sleeved jersey partly to blame
- Manziel inks endorsement contract with Nike
- Report: Sharper admitted sex not consensual
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM