Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Ervin Santana is the sixth rookie to be the winning pitcher in a winner-take-all postseason game and he's the third to do it in the last 20 years, along with John Lackey (2002 World Series against the Giants) and Jaret Wright (1997 ALDS against the Yankees).
• Hideki Matsui came to the plate with runners on base five times Monday and was retired all five times without driving in a run. Only one other player has gone 0-for-5 with men on base in a postseason loss when a win would have clinched the series for his team: Bill Buckner did it for the Red Sox in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series -- yes, the same game in which he allowed Mookie Wilson's ground ball to roll through his legs. (We'e just been whistled for piling on.)
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Florida, Zona, Wichita, UVa get No. 1 seeds
- Brown, SMU snubbed by NCAA tournament
- AAC's standing may have led to L'ville seed
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke to reign in ACC