Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Reggie Sanders has set a major-league record with eight RBI in the first two games of a postseason series. Four players had seven RBI over the first two games of a series: Brooklyn's Gil Hodges (1956 World Series), Texas' Juan Gonzalez (1996 ALDS), Boston's Mo Vaughn (1998 ALDS) and Boston's Nomar Garciaparra (1998 ALDS).
• The Padres became the first major-league team in history to ground into a double play in four consecutive innings of a postseason game. Mark Mulder induced all four of those double plays; that's one of his specialties. Over the last three regular seasons (2003-05), Mulder leads the majors in generating double-play grounders, with 89. Next-most: 86 for Mark Buehrle.
• The Padres are the first team in postseason history to outhit their opponents by at least three hits in each of the first two games of a series but lose both games.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Memphis clips BYU in 2OT win capped by brawl
- Lions' Raiola suspended 1 game for stomp
- Manziel ruled out; Browns add rookie Shaw
- Sources: Georgia OC to coach Colorado St.