Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Cliff Floyd's grand slam on Thursday was the first by a Mets player at Shea Stadium since Robin Ventura hit one off Houston's Jay Powell on May 1, 2001. The Mets' streak of 382 home games without a grand slam was a franchise record and the longest streak in the major leagues since the Padres played 498 games without at slam at Jack Murphy Stadium from 1977 to 1983.
• Robinson Cano hit a grand slam in the Yankees' 9-5 win over the Devil Rays, marking the third time that players for both the Yankees and Mets hit slams on the same day. Jason Giambi and Mike Piazza did it on May 17, 2002; Mike Stanley and Dave Gallagher did it on July 18, 1993.
Cano also tripled in the game, which wouldn't be especially noteworthy had Alex Rodriguez not homered in the same inning in which Cano homered and tripled in the same inning in which Cano tripled. That's been done by teammates only one other time in the last quarter-century. Chili Davis and Dwight Smith did it for the Angels in 1994.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Source: Bears to start Clausen over Cutler
- 49ers' Harbaugh 'considering' Michigan job
- Hawks send Cavs to largest loss this season
- Chryst returns to Wisconsin as head coach