Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• David Ortiz hit a two-run, tiebreaking home run in the eighth inning Wednesday night to give the Red Sox a 5-3 win over the Blue Jays. It was Ortiz's 11th game-winning home run in the seventh inning or later since joining the Red Sox in 2003 -- tying Andruw Jones for the most in the majors during that time -- and his third in the last nine days.
• Ronnie Belliard hit an 0-2 pitch for a seventh-inning game-winning home run off Barry Zito in the Indians' 6-4 victory over the A's. It was only the third home run that Zito has allowed on an 0-2 count in his six-year major-league career, and the first since 2002.
• Those who came late to the party in Cleveland will be surprised by this: The Indians share the best record in the majors since May 22 with the Cardinals (66-39), and they have the best in the American League since April 22 (78-52).
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Browns suspend WR Gordon for season finale
- Police question Cubs' Castro about shooting
- No. 1 Wildcats use D to fend off No. 4 L'ville
- PSU edges BC in OT to claim Pinstripe Bowl