Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Felix Hernandez struck out 11 batters in the Mariners' 11-3 win over the Royals on Monday. He's the first teenager to fan at least 10 batters in a game since Dwight Gooden had 15 double-digit strikeout games in 1984. The last before Gooden was Bert Blyleven in 1970.
• This is the 56th season of major-league baseball in Kansas City, covering six different franchises in five different leagues. But these Royals have established the longest losing streak by any Kansas City team in major-league history.
The previous record stood for 121 years -- since the very first year of major-league baseball in Kansas City. That 1884 team -- known as the Unions and playing in the Union Association, a major league for just that one season -- lost 15 decisions in a row.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Cavs win NBA draft lottery; Magic get 2nd pick
- Spurs outlast Grizzlies in OT, grab 2-0 lead
- Garcia makes fried chicken remark about Tiger
- Vinny Del Negro out as Clippers head coach