Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Jason Schmidt recorded his 113th career victory in the Giants' 5-3 win over the Braves on Thursday. Schmidt made his major-league debut for the Braves in 1995 and won five games for them before being included in the 1996 trade which brought Denny Neagle from Pittsburgh to Atlanta. Since the club moved to Atlanta, the only pitcher with more wins after leaving the Braves than Schmidt (108) is Joe Niekro, who was with the Braves in 1973 and 1974, and then was bought by the Astros in 1975 and went on to win 163 more games in the major leagues.
• Randy Winn's two-run home run off Tim Hudson in the seventh inning gave the Giants a 4-3 lead. Entering that at-bat, Winn was 8-for-43 (.186) in his career against Hudson and had only two hits against him in his previous 20 at-bats.
• In his 25th career game, Jeff Francoeur went 0-for-4, dropping his batting average to exactly .400 (36-for-90). He's one of three active players to hit .400 or better through 25 career games (minimum: 50 at-bats), along with Brian Giles (.471, 24-for-51) and Bill Mueller (.411, 33-for-70).
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Djokovic wins 5th Aussie title, denies Murray
- Rodgers tops Watt, collects 2nd MVP award
- Seau, Bettis, Shields among 8 in HOF class
- Watt 1st unanimous DPOY; Murray honored