Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• For the first time in his managerial career, spanning 4,078 regular-season games, Tony La Russa's team scored the first run of the game on a first-inning squeeze bunt. And wouldn't you know, La Russa's intuition was right: That was the game's only run for seven innings, and the Cardinals went on to defeat the Brewers, 3-0.
• Grady Sizemore went 3-for-3, including a grand slam, with a pair of walks in the Indians' 6-1 win over the Royals on Wednesday night. Only one other Indians player in the last 25 years had a "perfect night" -- starting and reaching base on every plate appearance -- and hitting a grand slam: Omar Vizquel in 1996.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke to reign in ACC
- Coach K says ACC bubble teams are better
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- Broncos sign WR Sanders to 3-year deal