Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• For the first time in his managerial career, spanning 4,078 regular-season games, Tony La Russa's team scored the first run of the game on a first-inning squeeze bunt. And wouldn't you know, La Russa's intuition was right: That was the game's only run for seven innings, and the Cardinals went on to defeat the Brewers, 3-0.
• Grady Sizemore went 3-for-3, including a grand slam, with a pair of walks in the Indians' 6-1 win over the Royals on Wednesday night. Only one other Indians player in the last 25 years had a "perfect night" -- starting and reaching base on every plate appearance -- and hitting a grand slam: Omar Vizquel in 1996.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- LeBron unanimous, Kobe on All-NBA first team
- Father wants RG III to throw more, run less
- Source: Knicks' Smith slowed by knee pain
- Rodgers wants Pack to retire Favre's No. 4