Elias Says ... Rays 'walk' away with win over Yanks
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Devil Rays pitchers issued 14 walks but managed to beat the Yankees, 4-2. During the live-ball era, only one other team won a game despite walking as many as 14 batters, by holding its opponent to two or fewer runs. The New York Giants walked 14 Phillies batters but won the game 3-2 on Sept. 26, 1954.
Every starter in the Yankees lineup walked at least once. That didn't happen during the entire 2005 season, but the Red Sox also did it earlier this month against the Orioles.
• Seth McClung walked the leadoff batter in each of the first four innings against the Yankees. Over the last 10 years, the only other pitchers to do so were Mac Suzuki of the Royals and Jimmy Anderson of the Pirates two days apart in June 2000. What made McClung's performance unique among the 10 other pitchers to do so during the divisional era is that the Yankees failed to score in any of those innings.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Pacers shake off Knicks to seize series in 6
- Oxbow wins Preakness; Orb finishes fourth
- Couture rescues Sharks in OT, cuts Kings' lead
- Johnson eases to record 4th All-Star victory