Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• On Wednesday, Tim Hudson held the Mets hitless for five innings, Chris Carpenter didn't allow a hit to the Pirates in his first 5 1/3 innings and Javier Vazquez's no-hit bid against Kansas City lasted 6 1/3 innings. It was the first time that three starting pitchers each held opponents hitless through five innings on the same day since July 25, 2004 (Livan Hernandez for Montreal, Randy Johnson for Arizona and Eric Milton for Philadelphia).
• Carpenter's victory at Pittsburgh improved his record in road games to 23-4 since his Cardinals debut in 2004. Since then, no other major-league pitcher has won as many as 20 decisions on the road.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Griner: Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- DE Freeney, Chargers agree to contract
- Mario Williams' ex alleges suicide-talk texts
- Pacers' Hill uncertain for Game 6 vs. Knicks