Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Greg Maddux won his 320th game Wednesday, two days before his 40th birthday. Of the 15 300-game winners who began their careers since 1900, only three had more wins before turning 40 than Maddux: Walter Johnson (all 417 of his wins came before his 40th birthday), Christy Mathewson (all 373) and Grover Alexander (327 of 373). The only other post-1900 member of the 300-win club who had won even 290 games by his 40th birthday was Steve Carlton (313).
• Jim Thome hit his fifth home run of the season Wednesday, in his team's eighth game. Only four other players in major league history have hit five home runs so few games into a season for a team that they had joined in the preceding offseason; all four also hit their fifth home run in their new team's eighth game: Bob Nieman, 1955 White Sox; Bobby Darwin, 1972 Twins; Juan Gonzalez, 2001 Indians; and Jose Cruz, Jr., 2003 Giants.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Rodgers tops Watt, collects 2nd MVP award
- Seau, Bettis, Shields among 8 in HOF class
- Watt 1st unanimous DPOY; Murray honored
- Duke ends with 16-5 run, hands UVa 1st loss