Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Four players averaged at least 30 points per game in March (Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Allen Iverson and Dirk Nowitzki) and two players missed by mere points: Carmelo Anthony averaged 29.9 per game and would have averaged 30 with two more points; Gilbert Arenas also averaged 29.9 per game and would have had 30 with another basket. It's the fourth consecutive month that four players have averaged at least 30 points per game. Before this season, that had not happened since December 1990 (Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan, Bernard King and Karl Malone).
There have been only three months in NBA history in which at least five players averaged 30 points per game, in December, January and February of the 1961-62 season. Walt Bellamy, Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson averaged 30 in all three of those months, along with Elgin Baylor (Dec.) Bob Pettit (Dec./Jan.), Jerry West (Jan./Feb.) and Richie Guerin (Feb.).
(All based on a 10-game minimum.)
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Ryan expects to be fired by Jets
- Kentucky anticipating Louisville's best shot
- Dirk into 8th on NBA scoring list, razzes Kobe
- Devils GM Lamoriello to help behind bench