Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
- A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports:NBA
• Four players averaged at least 30 points per game in March (Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Allen Iverson and Dirk Nowitzki) and two players missed by mere points: Carmelo Anthony averaged 29.9 per game and would have averaged 30 with two more points; Gilbert Arenas also averaged 29.9 per game and would have had 30 with another basket. It's the fourth consecutive month that four players have averaged at least 30 points per game. Before this season, that had not happened since December 1990 (Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan, Bernard King and Karl Malone).
There have been only three months in NBA history in which at least five players averaged 30 points per game, in December, January and February of the 1961-62 season. Walt Bellamy, Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson averaged 30 in all three of those months, along with Elgin Baylor (Dec.) Bob Pettit (Dec./Jan.), Jerry West (Jan./Feb.) and Richie Guerin (Feb.).
(All based on a 10-game minimum.)
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- Tiger surges up Doral leaderboard with 66
- Source: Phil considers Knicks front-office job
- Alvarez dispatches Angulo with TKO in 10th
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM