Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• No Dominik Hasek? No problem. With Hasek sidelined with a groin injury suffered at the Olympics, Senators goaltender Ray Emery has stepped in and tied an all-time NHL record for wins in a month. Thursday's victory over the Rangers was Emery's 12th during March, tying the record set by Bernie Parent of the Flyers in March 1974.
• With their victory, the Senators avoided their first three-game winless streak of the season. Ottawa had lost to the Flyers on Sunday (6-3) and the Devils on Tuesday (3-2 in a shootout). Over the last 10 years, the only team not to suffer a winless streak of three or more games over an entire season is the 2000-2001 Red Wings.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke to reign in ACC
- Coach K says ACC bubble teams are better
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- Broncos sign WR Sanders to 3-year deal