Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• For the first time since 1980, four lower-seeded teams advanced from the Elite Eight to the Final Four. The winning teams 26 years ago were Purdue (No. 6) over Duke (No. 4), UCLA (No. 8) over Clemson (No. 6), Iowa (No. 5) over Georgetown (No. 3), and Louisville (No. 2) over LSU (No. 1).
• With victories over North Carolina and UConn, George Mason became the first team in tournament history to eliminate the champions from each of the two previous years. George Mason also defeated the 2000 champion, Michigan State. Utah was the only other team to beat three schools that had won the championship over the past six years. In 1998, the Utes eliminated Arkansas (the 1994 champion), Arizona (1997) and North Carolina (1993).
• George Mason is the first school to reach the Final Four in the same year in which it earned its first NCAA Tournament victory since Georgia did it in 1983. The Bulldogs fell to North Carolina State in the semifinals.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Wall, Wizards deal Cavs 3rd straight loss
- Raiders' Woodson on celebration: 'Ridiculous'
- Kobe on hometown-discount deals: 'Big coup'
- Report: Red Sox offer Sandoval 5 for $95M