Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
Updated: March 26, 2006, 2:12 AM ETBy Elias Sports Bureau, Inc. | Special to ESPN Insider
- A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports:NCAA Tournament
• UCLA defeated Memphis 50-45 Saturday to reach the Final Four via the Oakland Regional. It was the fewest points scored in an NCAA men's regional finals game since 1973, when, in the pre-shot-clock era, UCLA advanced to the Final Four by defeating San Francisco 54-39 at Pauley Pavilion. (That was the Bill Walton-Larry Farmer-Keith Wilkes team that went on to win UCLA's seventh consecutive national championship by defeating Memphis State in St. Louis.) Neither team was able to score 30 points in either half of Saturday's UCLA-Memphis game. It marked the first such NCAA men's tournament game in the regional finals or later since Memphis State lost to Villanova 52-45 in the 1985 national semifinals in Louisville.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Sources: If no trade, Bucs likely to cut Revis
- Griffin pours in 37 as Clips take 8th in row
- Jets release Holmes, create more cap space
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com