Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Mario Lemieux announced his retirement Tuesday. Here's the highlights from his résumé:
* He averaged 1.88 points per game, second best in NHL history (minimum: 500 games), slightly behind Wayne Gretzky (1.92 points per game) but way ahead of the player with the third-highest average, Mike Bossy (1.50).
* He averaged 0.75 goals per game, second best in NHL history (minimum: 500 games), a hair behind Bossy (0.76 goals per game) and again far ahead of the player with the third-highest average, Pavel Bure (0.62).
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Eagles acquire Sproles for 5th-round pick
- Sources: Revis, Pats agree to 1-year deal
- Jets agree with WR Decker to bolster offense
- Kobe, Magic challenge Lakers' management