Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Mario Lemieux announced his retirement Tuesday. Here's the highlights from his résumé:
* He averaged 1.88 points per game, second best in NHL history (minimum: 500 games), slightly behind Wayne Gretzky (1.92 points per game) but way ahead of the player with the third-highest average, Mike Bossy (1.50).
* He averaged 0.75 goals per game, second best in NHL history (minimum: 500 games), a hair behind Bossy (0.76 goals per game) and again far ahead of the player with the third-highest average, Pavel Bure (0.62).
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sherman's two INTs help Seahawks by 49ers
- Niners CEO apologizes: Loss 'not acceptable'
- Eagles blast Cowboys, seize NFC East lead
- Dez awaits rematch vs. 'kinda cheap' Eagles