Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• LeBron James missed a potential game-tying free throw with .06 seconds remaining in Cleveland's 90-89 loss Wednesday at Denver. On the Cavaliers' previous possession, James passed by an open look at a 3-pointer that could have given Cleveland the lead as the clock reached single digits. On Thursday night, LeBron missed an 18-footer at the buzzer in a one-point loss to the Lakers.
During his NBA career, James has made only 2-of-15 potential game-tying or go-ahead field-goal attempts in the final 10 seconds of either the fourth quarter or an overtime period. Carmelo Anthony has made 7-of-11 shots under those circumstances during his NBA career. Over those three seasons, Anthony is the only one of the league's top 15 scorers to make at least 40 percent of such shots.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
- NBPA taps 1st big league female union chief
- Sources: Clippers' Griffin has back fracture
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th