Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Patrik Elias says he's back in a big way, scoring two goals and two assists in his second game of the season as the Devils edged the Canadiens 5-4 on Thursday night. Elias missed the Devils' first 39 games while recovering from hepatitis. Over the last 25 years, only three other players scored at least four points in one of their first two games back after missing at least 90 days: Jesse Belanger (2000), Jeremy Roenick (1989) and Pat LaFontaine (1984).
It was the ninth time that Elias scored at least four points in a game, the second-highest total in franchise history behind John MacLean (12).
• There were only two power plays in the Devils-Canadiens game, the fewest in any NHL game this season. The previous low was four in a Sharks-Flames game on Nov. 23. Those are the only two games this season in which only four penalties were called.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Cavs win NBA draft lottery; Magic get 2nd pick
- Spurs outlast Grizzlies in OT, grab 2-0 lead
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' remark about Tiger
- Vinny Del Negro out as Clippers head coach