Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Pat Riley returned to the NBA sidelines Tuesday night and used his bench to help secure a 100-97 victory in Chicago. Four Heat reserves played at least 20 minutes: Antoine Walker, Gerald Fitch, Alonzo Mourning and Shandon Anderson. Four non-starters playing 20-plus minutes is not uncommon -- but it is rare in such a close game. Miami became the first NBA team this season to win a game by three or fewer points while playing four non-starters for at least 20 minutes.
Only once before as an NBA head coach had Riley won a game in regulation time by three or fewer points, while playing four different guys off the bench for at least 20 minutes. On Feb. 5, 1993, the Knicks won in Miami 108-105 with Doc Rivers, Anthony Mason, Tony Campbell and Rolando Blackmon each playing 20-plus minutes as non-starters.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Embattled Michigan AD Brandon resigning post
- OKC's Westbrook suffers small fracture in hand
- Kentucky, Arizona 1-2 in AP preseason poll
- Garrett: Romo might be a game-time call