Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• It was a big scoring night for big stars in the NBA. For the first time this season, five players scored 35 or more points in a game: Allen Iverson, 43; Carmelo Anthony, 40; Vince Carter, 38; Dwyane Wade, 37; and Dirk Nowitzki, 35.
• The Celtics still haven't figured out how to beat Tim Duncan. The Spurs' victory on Friday night was San Antonio's 16th in 16 games against Boston since Duncan joined the team in 1997.
Including a victory in the teams' last pre-Duncan meeting, the Spurs have now won 17 straight against the Celtics, the longest current winning streak for one NBA team against another. It's also the second-longest winning streak in NBA history against the Celtics; the Knicks won 21 straight regular-season games against Boston from April 1993 to January 1998.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- It's official: Celtics ship Rondo to Mavericks
- Durant exits loss to Warriors with ankle sprain
- Cutler: 'Crossed my mind' Bears tenure over
- Sources: Stephenson talks fizzle for Hornets