Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Taylor Pyatt scored a hat trick in the Sabres' 8-5 win over the Capitals on Thursday night. Those were Pyatt's first goals since Dec. 26, 2003, snapping a 40-game scoring drought. The last player to end a goal-less streak that long with a hat trick was Adam Graves, who snapped a 53-game drought with three goals for the Oilers against the Blackhawks in 1989.
• Kevyn Adams also broke a long scoreless drought with a hat trick. Adams scored three goals in the Hurricanes' 5-1 win over the Rangers, his first in 22 games since March 25, 2004. Since the start of the 2000-01 season, only two players besides Adams and Pyatt broke scoreless streaks of 20 or more games with hat tricks: Marty McInnis, 35 games (2003), and Petr Tenkrat, 23 (2001).
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Charles missing from start of Chiefs camp
- Broncos' Bowlen has Alzheimer's, steps down
- Davis ends holdout, reports to 49ers camp
- Report: Pouncey could miss half the season