Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
• Taylor Pyatt scored a hat trick in the Sabres' 8-5 win over the Capitals on Thursday night. Those were Pyatt's first goals since Dec. 26, 2003, snapping a 40-game scoring drought. The last player to end a goal-less streak that long with a hat trick was Adam Graves, who snapped a 53-game drought with three goals for the Oilers against the Blackhawks in 1989.
• Kevyn Adams also broke a long scoreless drought with a hat trick. Adams scored three goals in the Hurricanes' 5-1 win over the Rangers, his first in 22 games since March 25, 2004. Since the start of the 2000-01 season, only two players besides Adams and Pyatt broke scoreless streaks of 20 or more games with hat tricks: Marty McInnis, 35 games (2003), and Petr Tenkrat, 23 (2001).
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Phil signs on as Knicks president
- Steve Smith reaches 3-year deal with Ravens
- Pats reach deal with suspended CB Browner
- Ex-Bills QB Kelly has recurrence of cancer