USC WRs need strong showing
Receiving corps has had trouble holding onto Barkley's passes in recent practices
Updated: September 1, 2011, 9:15 PM ETBy Greg Katz | WeAreSC.com
- Saturday marks the beginning of the 2011 season and the end to a long offseason of conference changes, roster turnover and anticipation.
The Obvious: Saturday, in front of an anticipated turnout of 75,000 fans at the storied Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the No. 25-ranked USC Trojans and the unranked Minnesota Golden Gophers, two teams searching for identities, will try to defend the honor of the new Pac-12 and the new Big Ten, respectively, by opening the 2011 season (3:30 p.m. ET).
The Not So Obvious: Yes, it's now a whole new world in the Pac-12 with the additions of Utah and Colorado. As for the Big Ten, Nebraska's Big Red, once the pride of the Big 12 is now the 12th team in the Big Ten. Got it? Come Saturday in the Coliseum, however, it all reverts to tradition, the West Coast battling the Midwest, and in this rare occasion not in Pasadena on New Year's Day.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Sources: If no trade, Bucs likely to cut Revis
- Jets release Holmes, create more cap space
- Staying in the nest: Seahawks retain Bennett
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth USC Trojans White #9 Football Game Jersey
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com