Why UCLA tops USC right now
Metrics show that Bruins are a better team than the Trojans at the moment
It's been said that a rivalry isn't a rivalry unless both teams are winning some of the contests between the clubs.
If that is the case, no matter how heated the Battle of Los Angeles can be at times, it really can't qualify as a rivalry since the USC Trojans have beaten the UCLA Bruins 12 of the past 13 times these teams have squared off and posted a 50-0 victory last season that qualified as their largest margin of victory in this series in more than 80 years.
When that type of winning streak is combined with the volume of top-flight talent on the Trojans' roster (including four players ranked in the Scouts Inc. top 100 prospects in the 2013 NFL draft), it would seem that USC is very likely to make it 13 wins in 14 years.
However, when one takes a closer look at this matchup, it becomes clear that the Bruins are the best team in Los Angeles right now.
This statement isn't made under the same auspices of the rankings that have UCLA rated ahead of USC mostly by virtue of the Bruins having only two losses versus the Trojans' three, but rather because UCLA has equal or better talent across the board.
To read more about why UCLA is the top team in Los Angeles, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- SEC hires Vincent as associate commissioner
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation