Trojans have to temper expectations
Showdown with Utah will reveal whether this team can reach nine wins or more
Updated: September 5, 2011, 10:50 AM ETBy Jeremy Hogue | We Are SC
- Success is a relative term & relative to expectations. If you exceed expectations, then you have been successful. So whenever you define success, setting expectations becomes the hard part, and for a team like USC, there will be lots of different opinions, especially after an ugly win against Minnesota. I sit in front of a guy at the Coliseum who seems to expect John Robinson's late 1970s and early 1980s teams to run out of the tunnel each week. Always disappointed that Marcus Allen isn't in the backfield carrying the ball 20 times a quarter, he resides in a state of never-ending disappointment. And while I personally believe high expectations by fans and alumni are good for USC and will ensure that the proper pressure is always applied, the question becomes: What are realistic expectations for 2011?
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Tiger surges up Doral leaderboard with 66
- Sources: Mendenhall, 26, retiring from NFL
- Creighton's McDermott goes over 3K in win
- Cavs honor 'Big Z' as LeBron makes cameo
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's USC Trojans Cardinal Coaches Performance Polo
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com