Waiting, wondering and hoping
Few dramas compare to one surrounding Herschel Walker, Kerwin Bell in 1979
Updated: February 4, 2013, 1:24 PM ETBy Greg Katz | WeAreSC
- Ronald C. Modra/Sports Imagery/Getty ImagesWhile landing Herschel Walker was a longshot for USC, losing out on Kerwin Bell was a signing-day surprise.If you think it's excruciating waiting till Wednesday's signing day to find out if two heralded California defensive linemen -- Eddie Vanderdoes (Auburn Placer) and Kylie Fitts (Redlands East Valley) -- sign with the Trojans, you should have been around in 1979. In that recruiting season, the two biggest national names were a small-town running back out of Johnson County High in Wrightsville, Ga., named Herschel Walker and a "Surf City" tailback from Edison High in Huntington Beach, Calif., named Kerwin Bell.
To get Greg Katz's look at Trojans in the Super Bowl, sign up to become an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Jets release Holmes, create more cap space
- Staying in the nest: Seahawks retain Bennett
- Self 'confident' Embiid will play despite back
- 'Nervous' Bonds back with Giants in new role
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com