Warning shot fired
With firing of Kevin O'Neill, USC AD Pat Haden sends Lane Kiffin a message
Updated: January 20, 2013, 9:26 PM ETBy Greg Katz | WeAreSC
Until Monday morning, the growing perception was that USC athletic director Pat Haden, the former star quarterback on the Trojans' 1974 national champions, was a wonderful public relations machine but lacked the fortitude to change coaches.
On Monday morning, Haden didn't appease the masses with the firing of head football coach Lane Kiffin, but he did send a loud and clear message to Kiffin.
Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US PresswireFiring men's basketball coach Kevin O'Neill in the middle of the season showed that USC athletic director Pat Haden is hardly messing around.
To learn more about what Kevin O'Neill's firing could mean for Lane Kiffin, sign up to become an ESPN Insider.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- NFL VP defends length of Rice suspension
- Jordan rules: 'Cool' with No. 23 for LeBron
- Giants set lofty 70 percent goal for Manning
- Scott not wasting time: Lakers must play D
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth USC Trojans Cardinal #9 Football Game Jersey