Beware minor bowls
December, non-marquee bowls have not been kind to the Trojans historically
Updated: December 16, 2012, 9:40 PM ETBy Greg Katz | WeAreSC
LOS ANGELES -- The USC Trojans have a glorious record in big bowl games, which includes national championships and Rose Bowls, but when they are forced to play outside that big bowl game bubble, they have often had difficulty rising to the occasion.
For USC players who have been highly recruited and whose expectations are at the highest level, anything short of a game played on or after New Year's Day becomes as exciting as going in for a root canal. That can be dangerous against opponents that are waiting to take their shot at the Men of Troy.
AP Photo/Eric JamisonUtah coach Ron McBride was carried off the field after the Utes defeated USC 10-6 in the 2001 Las Vegas Bowl.
For more USC Trojans recruiting news, sign up to become an ESPN Insider.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch plans holdout over contract
- Paul: Sitting out possible if Sterling remains
- Cavs still out front in Love talks, sources say
- Harden's 'cornerstones' belief miffs Parsons
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's USC Trojans #9 Cardinal Football Game Jersey