Breath of fresh heirs
USC first-year players received valuable experience in easy opener vs. Hawaii
Updated: September 4, 2012, 11:13 AM ETBy Garry Paskwietz | WeAreSC
LOS ANGELES -- One of the main talking points for USC coach Lane Kiffin during fall camp was his concern about the lack of experienced depth in the reserve positions, particularly on defense. With an opening game against an overmatched opponent such as Hawaii -- one that was down 35-0 at halftime -- Kiffin was presented with an opportunity to empty the sidelines a little earlier than normal. In all, 27 newcomers received their first taste of action in a USC uniform in this game, something that was a priority for the coaches this season.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Texas' Brown poised to step down
- Pacers shake early deficit to turn down Heat
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Rodgers experiencing pain, status uncertain
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's USC Trojans #9 Cardinal Football Game Jersey