Close but no cigar
'National title or bust' standard kept some USC coaches from being elite
Updated: June 21, 2012, 9:17 PM ETBy Greg Katz | WeAreSC.com
LOS ANGELES -- You've perhaps heard the term "close but no cigar?" Well, there have been USC head football coaches that actually got the cigar, but they didn't come close enough to smoke the big stogie. The cigar is bowl appearances, but the big stogie is national championships.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Louisville takes first AAC final, tops UConn
- UCLA upsets No. 4 Arizona in Pac-12 final
- Melo: Knicks bringing in Phil a 'power move'
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth USC Trojans Cardinal #9 Football Game Jersey