Rose Bowl needs to evolve
Big Ten, Pac-12 can't let 'The Grandaddy of Them All' halt progress
Updated: April 30, 2012, 10:39 AM ETBy Greg Katz | WeAreSC.com
- LOS ANGELES -- Let it be said from the outset, nobody loves and understands the Rose Bowl tradition between the Pac-12 and the Big Ten any more than someone raised on the West Coast or Midwest. The Rose Bowl experience, featuring these two legendary conferences, really needs no introduction.If you're a USC fan, the memories are deep and emotional, especially when harkening back to such Rose Bowl classics like the Trojans' 1963 victory over Wisconsin in an epic shootout, the history of New Year's Day battles between the Men of Troy and the Ohio State Buckeyes, and certainly those titanic clashes of the Cardinal and Gold and the storied Wolverines of Michigan.George Long/Getty ImagesThe Rose Bowl has seen some classic battles between the Trojans and schools such as Ohio State, and moving to a playoff will not alter those memories.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- In progress: Tiger, others try to tame Doral
- Sources: Lakers not ready to fire D'Antoni
- Reports: Saints to release Sproles if no trade
- Source: Jackson 'ready to go back to work'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike USC Trojans Mini Rubber Football
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com