Eras set to collide in Eugene
Past Pac-10 power meets present Pac-12 one in battle for future dominance
Updated: November 15, 2011, 10:37 AM ETBy Jeremy Hogue | We Are SC
- LOS ANGELES -- USC fans are well aware, and very proud, that the Trojans dominated the Pac-10 during the last decade, with seven straight conference titles making them the Pac-10's serial representative on the national stage. They played in BCS title games. They crushed Big Ten teams in Rose Bowls. They set a new standard with recruits. And they had a coach that changed college football with his "always compete" philosophy.Don't look now, but Oregon is the two-time defending Pac-10 champ and is on its way to its third straight conference title, as the Ducks will almost certainly claim the inaugural Pac-12 championship. They were in the BCS title game last year and will probably play in the Rose Bowl in January (if they don't sneak into the BCS title game again) against a Big Ten team that they will likely crush. They are out-recruiting teams across the country. And they have a coach whose fast-break offense is changing college football.[+] EnlargeEzra Shaw/Getty ImagesDarron Thomas is the current triggerman for the Oregon offense that's become the new standard in the Pac-12.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Brooks: Durant could be scoring even more
- Mavericks extend Pacers' slide to 4 games
- Keselowski passes Dale Jr., wins Las Vegas
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com