Trojans, Irish in similar places
Both USC and Notre Dame looking to second-year coaches to get 'back'
Updated: October 17, 2011, 12:19 PM ETBy Jeremy Hogue | We Are SC
- LOS ANGELES -- Notre Dame fans can look down from their perch and tell you that their history (even if you have to go back a ways) is the best in college football, every bit as strong as USC's. Their recent struggles are due to their commitment to academic excellence and the tough time they have getting kids into the school. And after all, they aren't suffering from probation for "cheating," like USC. And don't forget, Notre Dame won in the Coliseum last season, taking the Shillelagh back to South Bend. Trojans fans obviously can point to the recent history of their program's success as proof that they are better than the Irish. USC fans point out national championships, Heisman Trophies and a decade of dominance against Notre Dame, winning eight in a row against their rival until last season. And don't forget Notre Dame's nine bowl losses in a row from 1995 to 2007. Meanwhile, USC wins big bowl games, beats top-10 teams and goes anywhere, anytime -- no Army, Navy or Air Force on its schedule. And maybe USC wouldn't be facing NCAA penalties so severe had a former Notre Dame athletic director not been on the investigative committee.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Brooks: Durant could be scoring even more
- Mavericks extend Pacers' slide to 4 games
- Keselowski passes Dale Jr., wins Las Vegas
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com