USC can't afford to be excited
Despite 2-0 record, USC is still searching for its ultimate identity
Updated: September 12, 2011, 1:02 PM ETBy Steve Bisheff | We Are SC
The nice thing is the record, 2-0. It sits there, admittedly a little wobbly, but still shining -- or is that winking? -- its way out of the darkness of USC's early sanction-shrouded season. The next question is the interesting one, though: What does it really mean? "We don't put people away," Trojans coach Lane Kiffin said, "but we're 2-0 and in first place in the South." That's the new Pac-12 Southern Division, and although the Trojans aren't eligible to play in the conference championship game, they'd love to finish on top in the South and force the second-place team to engage Stanford or Oregon, or whomever captures the Northern Division.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Gibbs beats buzzer as Seton Hall stuns Nova
- Redskins sign Hatcher away from Cowboys
- Sources: Pats' Wilfork asks team for release
- KU edges Okla. St. in OT behind Wiggins' 30
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's USC Trojans Practice Legend Authentic Font Cardinal Performance T-Shirt