Long runs show holes in Texas' defense
A better understanding of gap assignments will help the Longhorns
Updated: October 19, 2011, 11:52 AM ETBy Carter Strickland | HornsNation
AUSTIN, Texas -- There were hints that it was coming.
The 14-yard run by Iowa State's James White. The 21-yard run by UCLA's Johnathan Franklin. The 27-yard run by UCLA's Derrick Coleman. Even the 20-yard run by Rice's Tyler Smith showed there were issues with the interior of Texas' run defense. Texas players liked to say they were just inches away from stopping those runs. Against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, the distance grew.
AP Photo/LM OteroTackling better and more knowledge of the scheme will help Texas in the second half of the season.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- L'ville to make Grantham among richest DCs
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Texas Longhorns White 'longhorn State' Local Characteristic T-shirt