Nickel Package: BYU-Texas
Texas will have to match the physical play of BYU on both sides of the line
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA files intent to appeal O'Bannon decision
- After threats, event cancels Updyke showing
- Vandy goes with Robinette over Rivers at QB
- Kent State to honor Bitsko with helmet decal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
HORNSNATION WEEK 2
THIS WEEK ON HORNSNATION
Matchups to watch
Texas coach Mack Brown expects his team to be in a fight when BYU visits this week.
With that, the emphasis for the Longhorns will be on both the offensive and defensive lines.
The Cougars will also try to test the Longhorns' young secondary. One key place to watch would be Texas' defensive backs against BYU wide receivers Cody Hoffman and Ross Apo.
-- William Wilkerson
Odds and ends
• Texas and Brigham Young University will play for the first time since 1988. BYU and Texas have only played twice, in 1987 and 1988 -- BYU won moth meetings.
• Texas has played 15 different schools whom they have never beaten. BYU and Syracuse are the only two of those that it has played twice without winning.
• BYU is 3-0 against Big 12 teams since the inception of the conference. Their last meeting with a Big 12 team came against Oklahoma to open the 2009 season (won 14-13).
• After their win over Rice, the Longhorns are now 10-0 against non-BCS-AQ opponents since the beginning of the 2008 season.
• WR John Harris was the first non-QB to throw a touchdown pass for Texas since Ricky Williams in 1997.
-- ESPN Stats and Information>