Freshman Impact: Ohio State
Could two four-star wings push the Buckeyes to the top of the Big Ten?
For the "Freshman Impact" series, Insider's college basketball and recruiting experts will be teaming up to examine how 15 of the nation's best recruiting classes will fit in with their teams in the 2013-14 season.
John: Here's your Ohio State fun fact of the day, Reggie. Over the past four seasons, the Buckeyes have won more conference games than any other Big Ten team. In fact, I'm tempted to say "way more." With 56 conference wins over that span, Thad Matta has put some breathing room in between his record and those compiled even by the estimable likes of Wisconsin's Bo Ryan (50 wins) and Michigan State's Tom Izzo (49).
So, sure, seasons come and seasons go, but Ohio State is always really good. That being said, the Buckeyes have just bid farewell to their clear leader on offense, Deshaun Thomas. Does Matta have enough new talent and returning veterans to hold on to his personal in-conference bragging rights?
Reggie: John, even without Thomas, Matta has enough returning talent that the freshmen won't necessarily have to be amazing right away. But, yes, in Kameron Williams and Marc Loving, OSU has two exceptional freshmen. I think they'll both make significant contributions this season.
To read the full article on how Ohio State's incoming freshman will fit in with the team, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- No. 5 TCU dominates turnover-prone Texas
- LSU drops A&M on Fournette's 146, late INT
- Police, family search for Buckeyes lineman
- CFP: First four unchanged, but Ole Miss falls
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game