Ohio State's title claim
The perception that Ohio State's schedule is 'weak' was vastly overstated
Up until the 1965 season, the college football national champion was largely determined via the Associated Press and United Press International rankings that were tabulated at the end of the regular season. Back then, the bowl season was seen as an add-on to an already completed season rather than as a continuation of that season, and therefore it didn't factor into the national championship ranking.
If we used that method to determine the national champion today, the Ohio State Buckeyes would not have won that honor, but their No. 4 ranking in the latest AP Top 25 poll indicates they would have come close to it.
What has to be frustrating for Buckeyes fans is that even if they would not have won this regular-season honor, there is a strong case to be made that Ohio State should still be in the running for the season-ending AP national championship that will be decided after the bowl season concludes even though it is ineligible to play in a bowl.
There are a handful of smaller reasons the Buckeyes should get a little more respect, and one very big reason. Let's start with the smaller cases:
To read more about Ohio State's claim to a title if it were eligible, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lunt: Gundy lifted restrictions, but too late
- Ex-PSU players support Paternos' lawsuit
- Navy to charge football players in rape case
- Sources: Southern Miss won't renew AD's pact
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation